Up to 800 scholarships will be given out by the Korean Government to international students wishing to pursue their masters and PhD studies in Korea. This is a full scholarship and covers tuition fees, medical insurance, language training fee, air-fare etc. Applicants will be selected by the institution he or she is applying through (a Korean embassy or designated university).
The Korean Government Scholarship Program is designed to provide higher education in Korea for international students, with the aim of promoting international exchange in education, as well as mutual friendship amongst the participating countries. This is a full scholarship and covers tuition fees, medical insurance, language training fee, air-fare etc. Applicants will be selected by the institution he or she is applying through (a Korean embassy or designated university).
- Applicants should be in good health, both mentally and physically, to stay in Korea for an extended period of time
- .The applicant and his/her parents must have foreign citizenship.
- Applicants must submit the Personal Medical Assessment (included in the application form) when he/she apply for this program, and when it’s orientation, an Official Medical Examination will be done by NIIED. A serious illness (For example, HIV, Drug, etc) will be the main cause of disqualification from the scholarship.
- The handicapped who satisfy the above are also eligible for the program.
- Applicants must be under 40 years of age as of Sep. 1st, 2014 (born after Sep. 1st, 1974)
- Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree as of August 31st, 2014
- Applicants who apply for the Master’s program must hold a Bachelor’s degree or a diploma that is equivalent to or higher than a Bachelor’s degree.
- Applicants who apply for the Doctoral program must hold a Master’s degree or a diploma that is equivalent to or higher than a Master’s degree.
- Applicants who are expecting to obtain the relevant required degree or diploma by August 31st, 2014 must submit a certificate of degree or diploma expectation, and submit the official certificate of degree or diploma to NIIED by August 31st, 2014. (If not, disqualified for this program).
- Applicants must maintain a grade point average (G.P.A.) of at least 2.64 on a 4.0 scale, 2.80 on a 4. 3 scale, 2.91 on a 4.5 scale, or grades/marks/score of 80% or higher from the previously attended institution.
- If the transcript is not indicated in grades/marks/scores format, or is difficult to convert into percentages, attachment of official explanation from the attended institution is required.
- If an applicant does not satisfy the above GPA criteria, he/she will be disqualified from applying to this program.
- Applicants who have Korean proficiency or English proficiency may be given preference.
- Applicants who apply for natural science and technology program may be given preference.
- Applicants who are university professors currently in the developing countries may be given preference.
Fields of study/research
Applicants must choose their field of study from the listed programs in the University Information section provided by participating universities.
What the scholarship covers
The Korean Government scholarship is a full scholarship and covers the following:
- Airfare: Round-trip economy class ticket
- Airfare for entry will not be provided to scholars who already currently live in Korea for academic study or employment
- The fees for domestic travel within a scholar’s home country and for travel insurance to and from Korea will not be provided.
- Scholars from China and the Czech Republic will not be provided airfare by NIIED, but by their country of origin according to the mutual agreements
- Monthly Allowance: 900,000 won (KRW) per month.
- Research Allowance: 210,000 won for scholars in the humanities and social sciences; 240,000 won for scholars in natural and mechanic sciences, per semester
- Relocation (Settlement) Allowance: 200,000 won upon arrival (only for scholars from their own country, not for scholars who already currently live in Korea)
- Language Training Fee: Full coverage
- Tuitions: All admission fees are waived by the host institution (university). The tuition is paid by NIIED.
- Dissertation Printing Costs: 500,000 ~ 800,000 won, depending on the actual costs.
- Medical Insurance: 20,000 won per month will be provided (limited coverage).
- Special funding for scholars who are proficient in the Korean language (TOPIK Level 5 or 6): 100,000 won per month (commencing from the degree program)
How to apply
The mode of application is through the Korean Embassies or the 60 approved Korean universities. Applicants have to apply for this program via either an embassy or a designated university. Overseas Korean adoptees have to apply only via an embassy if their countries are allotted the adoptee quotas.
Applicants (including Korean adoptees) who apply for this program via Korean Embassies must choose 3 desired universities out of the 60 universities listed.
Applicants who apply for this program via the designated universities may choose only 1 desired university out of the 60 universities listed. Click here for more information on how to apply.
Scholarship application deadline
The date set forth by the 1st Selection Institutions within March 2014 (Application Period: Feb.3rd ~ Mar. 31st (decided by the 1st Selection Institution). Deadline for the recommendation of candidates to NIIED by the 1st Selection Institutions is April 11th, 2014. If the respective 1st Selection Institutions do not submit their candidates’ documents to NIIED on time, they will be excluded from the examination of NIIED Selection Committee, and their quotas will be substituted by the other 1st Institutions’ reserve candidates.
For more inquiries about admissions and visas to study abroad, send an email firstname.lastname@example.org or call: +2347037293057, +2348125835476